Carcassonne offers a variety of restaurants and shops, both in downtown (0.5 mi west of Maison Juliette) and in the Cité (0.7 mi east of Maison Juliette). See our annotated Google map for walking/driving directions.
Restaurants in Downtown Carcassonne
L’als’assiette: A wonderful small family restaurant serving food from Alsace/Lorraine area of France. Run by husband & wife team who speak five languages (French, English, Dutch, German & Alsasian). Open Sun & Mon, but closed all day Tue & Wed lunchtime. Seats just 20 people, so call ahead. Located at 29 rue Armagnac, just north of Place Carnot.
Restaurant Le Magnac: Nice casual restaurant with large shaded patio. Great pizza & pastas, innovative summer salads, good steaks. Open for lunch Mon-Sat noon-2:30pm, dinner Tue-Sat 7-11pm, closed Sun. Located at 11 rue Armagnac, just north of Place Carnot.
Cafe de la Comedie: Nice casual cafe with lots of outdoor tables in the shade. Great salads. Located at 13 rue Courtejaire, just south of Place Carnot.
Restaurant Le Longchamp: bistro on Place Carnot, the central square of Carcassonne. Eat outside on the plaza or inside if you prefer. Food is just ok, but nice place to relax and people-watch on the square. Open Sunday in summer. Located on southwest corner of Place Carnot.
Restaurants in Cité
Wonderful cooking classes in English are offered by Cooking by the Canal du Midi in Millepetit, just 12km from Carcassonne. Classes start at 10am and finish at 3:30pm, after you’ve enjoyed your lunch by the banks of the Canal. Classes are limited to 7 cooks (110 € each) and 5 companions (40 € each), including all recipes, all ingredients, and lunch with wine tastings.
Grocery Stores & Bakeries
All your grocery shopping is within an easy walk of Maison Juliette. We provide a rolling shopping cart to make it easy.
- Farmer’s markets: every Tues, Thu and Saturday mornings in Place Carnot, Carcassonne’s central square.
- G-20 is the closest small grocery store. Open 7 days/wk, 8am – 9pm. Located 0.5 mi from Maison Juliette at 21 Boulevard Omer Sarraut.
- Monoprix sells a wide selection of food, plus cosmetics/toiletries, basic electronics, a few clothes, etc. Open Mon-Sat 8:30am-8pm and Sun 9am-12:45pm. Located 0.5 west of Maison Juliette, at 17 Rue Georges Clemenceau, on main pedestrian street just north of Place Carnot.
- Carrefour City, small upscale grocery store on the west side of Place Carnot. Nicer produce than Monoprix. Open Mon-Sat 7am-10pm and Sun 9am-1pm. Located at 17 Place Carnot.
Butcher Petténuzzo Philippe: When you order “steak haché” (hamburger meat), they will cut a slice of steak and run it through a grinder while you watch! Located at 30 Rue Barbès, just east of Place Carnot.
Gas station & mini-mart, open 24×7. Sells gas, diesel and propane bottles. Also has mini market that sells water, wine, baguettes, cheese and most basics. What more do you need? Located 4 blocks from Maison Juliette, at corner of rue d’Alsace and Blvd Jean Juares.
- L’Epi D Ovalie is closest bakery to Maison Juliette. Open Mon-Sat: 6:15am-1pm and 3:45-17:15pm, plus Sun 6:15am-1:00pm. Located 0.3 mi from Maison Juliette at 54 Rue Antoine Marty.
- La Mie Caline is the best bakery in Carcassonnee. Open Sunday afternoon, which is unusual. Located at 4 rue Georges Clémenceau, just across from Monoprix.
Clothes & Gifts
- Mango offers stylish womens clothing at reasonable prices. Located at 22 Rue Courtejaire, just south of Place Carnot.
- Chattawak is another shop of stylish women’s clothes, more upscale/expensive than Mango. Located at 18 Rue Courtejaire.
There are many stores in the Cité that sell gifts for everyone on your shopping list – clothes, jewelry, tablecloths, leather goods, and more.